Know what it is vitiligo
Vitiligo is a condition, in which it creates a loss of the skin’s melanocytes in specific areas of the body. Patients suffering from this disease can see small white spots on the skin in any location of the body. This disease affects the focal in one area, or it may be found in many areas of the body.
This is a dermatological disease of white patches of skin on several parts of the body. Melanocytes are the cells that are subject to skin pigmentation. ‘This condition is an autoimmune thyroid condition.
The disease may be mild with one or two spots or maybe critical with depigmentation in larger areas of skin. It is common in people with autoimmune disorders, is not infectious, and is not always moving in the affected persons. Treatment is very lengthy and not curable.
Know the causes of this disease
Generally, the exact cause for this skin depigmentation is still unknown, this illness happens when the patient’s immune system wrongly strikes and kills several cells within its own body. So this disease appears out of an autoimmune ailment in the patient’s body.
Generally, people realize this illness earlier than their age of 40, and out of half of the people realize this condition even before they are in their 20s. Specialists say that this disease can have a genetic element in it since it runs on of the family members.
Still, specialists on this disease are also of the theory, that vitiligo can also occur because of associated medical conditions, like dysfunction of the thyroid glands.
Symptoms of vitiligo
- White patches on the skin mostly on the foot, face, hands, lip and several places.
- Sensitivity to sunlight
- Emotional and psychological distress
- Small white spots on navel, armpits, groin, genitals and near the rectal area
Diagnosis of Vitiligo
Such as there is no way by which the doctors can predict whether this depigmentation of the skin will remain limited in one location or spread all over the patient’s body.
- Skin Biopsy: Small tissue of the affected area is taken and sent for biopsy to verify the problem.
- Blood Test: Little amounts of blood is collected to conduct lab tests for the final approval.
Various types of vitiligo
It is classified into two types:
- Segmental vitiligo: It is less popular and more noticed in early age groups. This sort of vitiligo is non-symmetrical. Non-segmental vitiligo occurs in 90 per cent of the affected persons and is symmetrical and are more common in areas that are regularly opened to the sun.
- Non-Segmental vitiligo: While non-segmental vitiligo may not react to topical treatments, the more stable and less random segmental vitiligo responds quite well to topical treatments.
Know the best treatment of vitiligo
There are various treatments available to repair the color of the skin. But the results change under different conditions and sometimes are changeable. Some of the treatments can have different side effects and if your doctor has prescribed you any drug, surgery, or treatment then the process takes months to show its effectiveness.
Sometimes, if the treatment is successful then also the patches can come back or new patches may reappear. There are no medications that can treat this disease or bring back the pigment cells called melanocytes. But the skin tone can come back by using some of the creams or by doing light therapy.
Skin tone restoration
- Cream controlling inflammation: To bring back colour in the skin tone corticosteroid cream can help but in the starting of the disease. This is a lengthy process and may not be any change in the skin colour for several months. There can be a side effect on the skin like skin thinning or form of lines.
- Medicines affecting the immune system: Cream or ointment which contains tacrolimus or pimecrolimus may be effective for the small area patches like and particularly for face and neck.
- Light and psoralen combination: This is the treatment which combines elements which we get from a plant as psoralen with light therapy which returns colours to the patches. After taking psoralen by applying it to the skin or by taking it by mouth you have to expos to the ultraviolet rays (UVA or UVB), thus giving better results to the medicine.
- DepigmentationIf vitiligo is popular than this treatment is useful. you hve to apply an agent on the depigmentation area of the skin, you have to do this procedure for more than 9 months, maybe your have to repeat the procedure. There can be side effects like swelling, itching, irritation, redness, and dry skin.
- Skin Grafting When there is a small patch of vitiligo, doctor’s collect a small section from normal skin and graft it in the patchy area.
- Blister grafting In this process doctor’s uses the suction process, they create a blister in a normal area and later they take transplant it in the discoloured area.
Person who need vitiligo treatment
Anyone who sees this patch is eligible for treatment. This is a regular skin problem and varies in the depth and dimension of each patient.
Generally, we should consult a specialist before deciding on the treatment option. Although a complete cure for the condition is not possible the treatments but can minimize the visible effects of the skin condition.
Also, we should start the treatment at an early stage. Especially children and young adults eligible for treatment on the diagnosis of the condition.
Person who is not eligible for the treatment
It is likely to affect 1 percent of the global population, and the condition may run in families. While the topical treatments and phototherapy can be administered to adults and young adults of all gender, the surgical benefits must be thought about before undergoing the treatment.
The surgeon will evaluate the patient’s conditions before recommending the surgical treatment of vitiligo. The surgical treatment is not a good choice for children and for those who can scar easily.
For children, topical treatments can safely be opted for after a consultation with a dermatologist. Phototherapy with UVA radiation can be applied to a child over 12 years of age. Yet, the risks and benefits are carefully measured before going for the treatment.
Side effects of vitiligo treatment
Several side effects have been informed of different treatment options. In the case of topical corticosteroids and other topical creams, a possible severe side effect is skin atrophy. The skin becomes very thin, dry, and fragile and so, the usage of topical creams has to be abandoned after the prescribed period.
Also, observation of the patients by the medical practitioner. The oral medication, psoralen that increases the skin sensitivity to UV radiation may affect the eyes. Hence, eye examinations before and after the treatment are necessary. Possible side effects of surgical treatment involve cobble-stone like skin and infection.
Precautions necessary after vitiligo treatment
Usually, anyone with vitiligo must avoid being in the hot sun. Wearing protective clothing and the use of high-factor sunscreen will be of help. Avoid getting skin injury as white patches tend to increase in the injured area.
Other than these, there are no particular steps for proceeding with post any treatment for vitiligo. Still, regular monitoring of Autoimmune conditions and thyroid function is important. Also, care is necessary in the case of psychological depression.
This disease is not completely curable, and treatments can only reduce the visible white patches and improve skin conditions. Hence, constant monitoring is essential, keeping the treatments continue according to the advice of a dermatologist.
Know about vitiligo curable or not?
This is a condition that affects the people of any group and there is no cure for this disease and is a lifetime disease. It is a hereditary disease and the exact cause of the condition is unknown it is an autoimmune disorder. It starts with a virus, but there are treatment choices available for this disease. Small white spots on the skin can be recognized when there is a loss of color tissues from the body.
Alternatives treatments of vitiligo
Several alternative treatments are possible apart from conventional medicine. Homeopathy and Ayurveda promise relief from the condition, but, it may take much time to notice visible effects.
How to stop spreading of vitiligo
Preventing from spreading this is a huge matter of the people suffering from vitiligo.
The patient can also see spread in hair and the vitiligo affected area in the hair turns white in color. Vitiligo can be genetic and sometimes it runs in families and this may imply that heredity also plays a major role in this.
These are some of the methods which help vitiligo stop spreading:
- Stress and depression can spread vitiligo
- Milk products or eating non-veg with milk products are responsible for the spreading of vitiligo.
- Citrus item in large amount can trigger vitiligo
- Deficiency of vitamin B12 another reason for increasing of vitiligo
- Going swimming in the pool which has chlorinated water can affect vitiligo
Home remedies for vitiligo
There can be a positive condition of nutrients that are lacking in the body of a human are the cause of vitiligo. But, this is not clear, if the patient consumes some type of food to prevent vitiligo.
People try to do some treatment of vitiligo at home, but this is not clear that it will cure it or not:
- Gingko Biloba paste
- Turmeric and mustard oil mixture
- Lemon and sweet basil extract mixture
Consuming some healthful diets for vitiligo is good for prevention:
- Fruit- banana, apple
- Leafy green vegetables like kale or romaine lettuce
- Root vegetables like beetroots, carrots or radishes
- Figs and dates